OR54 - the pub quiz
It is a tradition of O.R. Society conferences that there is a pub quiz one evening. This happened in Edinburgh on the first day of the conference and nearly a hundred people took part. It is a pleasant way to spend the evening with friends. At the end of the evening (when our team didn't win, but didn't come last either) I listened to several serious or semi-serious suggestions for the quiz night in OR55. So:
- Try and make the questions accessible to an international gathering; there were at least 20 nationalities at OR54, and asking questions about literature meant that they were left out.
- Make sure that the bar has plenty of draught beer - the bar ran out part way through the evening!
- Have separate tables for each team - two teams to a table may lead to competition, but it is distracting.
- Don't take the competition too seriously.
- Have prizes which can be shared with the losers - boxes of chocolates and sweets are ideal